If you are planning to study in the United Kingdom (UK), then you need to understand the process of a Student Visa for the UK and the application process. Indian students planning to study in the UK need to apply for a Student Visa with the Office of the UK Visas and Immigration. In this article, we will offer a detailed guide on how you can obtain a UK Student Visa.
Different Types of UK Student Visas
If you want to study in the UK, then you need to choose between the three primary types of Study Visas:
- Student Visa – offered to students over 16 years of age and applying with a licensed educational institution.
- Child Student Visa – offered to students between the age of 4 and 17 years and applying for a course with a licensed educational institution.
- Short-Term Study Visa for studying English in the UK – for English Language courses with a duration of 6-11 months.
Requirements for a UK Student Visa
The UK Visas and Immigration Office follows a point system to award visas to students. Here are some essential requirements for applying for a UK Student Visa:
- Your passport and a recent photograph
- A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the course provider
- Proof that you are financially sound to support yourself and pay for the course
- ATAS Certificate (for certain courses)
- Prescribed documents for under-18 students
- Proof of adequate skills in the English Language
- Certificates of previous academic qualifications
- Biometric tests (if specified)
- Medical tests (if specified)
How to Apply for a UK Student Visa?
You can apply for a UK Student Visa nearly six months prior to the commencement of your course. You need to start the application on the UK Government’s website and then visit the Visa Application Center in India to submit your biometrics. The course provider will share a CAS Letter with you having a unique reference number. You will be required to submit the number during the visa application process. Usually, the visa, if approved, arrives within three weeks of application.
Important things to know before going to the UK to study
- Calculate the approximate amount you would spend on regular expenses while in the UK. This will help you budget for your course optimally.
- The immigration fees include an Immigration Health Surcharge that includes certain health services in the UK. Make sure that you understand what is covered under the scheme and which treatment/medicines you need to pay for.
- Choose your accommodation carefully.
- Check if the visa allows you to work. If yes, then make a note of the number of hours you can work per week and the type of jobs you can take.
- Learn about the British culture
- There are many ways of getting around the UK like trains, buses, trams, ferries, taxis, and cycles. You can also walk as it is the preferred means of commute for many locals.
- Universities in the UK have clubs and associations run by students that can help you get adjusted in no time.
Once your visa arrives and you start looking at buying your tickets and travelling to the UK, you might want to consider buying a UK Travel Insurance policy. These policies offer coverage for medical and non-medical emergencies. Some insurers also offer travel insurance for students keeping their unique needs in mind. Make sure that you purchase one to avoid financial losses and hassles during any unexpected exigencies.
The UK is one of the most preferred destinations for higher education among Indian students. If you are planning to study in the UK, then make sure that you understand the process of visa application and get all your documents in place before applying for one. Also, once your visa arrives, you might want to consider buying a travel insurance policy to protect you from emergencies.